We believe there are people across East London with a passion and commitment for disability sport and physical activity.
Motivate East runs the Para-Legacy Agent (PLA) programme, a volunteer training scheme for people who are interested in supporting sport and physical activity sessions for Motivate East participants. Many PLAs have a disability or long-term health condition themselves.
Para-Legacy Agents are volunteers who support greater numbers of disabled people and other groups who are least likely to be active to participate in sport and physical activity. We have developed an accredited training and mentoring programme to engage volunteers to become Para-Legacy Agents and promote sport and physical active for diverse groups of people.
The Para-Legacy Agent programme is designed to give local people the skills, knowledge and confidence to successfully support local people to participate in sport and physical activity.
If you are interested in becoming a Para-Legacy Agent or want to learn more about the programme please contact Colin King on 07460 862886 or through email email@example.com.
Frequently asked Questions
What are Para-Legacy Agents?
Quite simply, Legacy Agents are people with a passion for inclusive sport. They are people who can inspire people who are least likely to be active (including disabled people and people with long-term health conditions) to take part in sport and physical activity.
Why become a Para-Legacy Agent?
We believe that becoming a Para-Legacy Agent is rewarding for everyone involved. By becoming a Para-Legacy Agent you can:
- Learn new skills – you’ll receive training, advice and ongoing support to help develop your skills and inspire others
- Improve your wellbeing – whilst you’re supporting local disabled people to access sport and physical activities you too could improve your mental and physical wellbeing
- Improve your confidence – you’ll learn and do things that you might not normally get the chance to do – this can be a real confidence boost
- Meet new people – you’ll meet people with a range of abilities and from different backgrounds and cultures who are as passionate about sport and physical activity as you. It’s a great way to meet like-minded people
- Give something back to the community. By helping more disabled people to participate in sport you’re helping deliver a lasting legacy from the Paralympic Games
Who can be a Para-Legacy Agent?
Anyone can become a Para-Legacy Agent, regardless of ability, age, culture or background. All you need is a passion and commitment to inspire and support a diverse range of disabled people to try a sport and physical activity.
Each Para-Legacy Agent will receive training and mentoring to develop the skills, knowledge and confidence required to successfully support local disabled people to participate in sport and physical activity.
How much time is involved?
We have developed an accredited training and mentoring programme to give Para-Legacy Agents the skills, knowledge and confidence to successfully support local disabled people to try a sport and physical activity. We estimate the programme to be 3 hours per week for 12-weeks. This will vary depending on the needs of each individual.
How do I get involved?
If you are interested in becoming a Para-Legacy Agent please contact Colin King on 07460862886 or through email firstname.lastname@example.org.
By making contact, you are not committing to anything. It simply means we can answer any questions you may have about the programme.
If you are interested in registering on the programme we will arrange an initial meeting.